What is a Makerspace?
“To define a school Makerspace by its purpose and simplest of terms, it is a place where young people have an opportunity to explore their own interests; learn to use tools and materials, both physical and virtual; and develop creative projects.”Laura Flemming Worlds of Making
CGS Makerspaces focus on the Four C’s: creativity, critical thinking, communication and collaboration.
School Makerspace Student Goals:
The goals of our CGS Makerspaces are to :
- Create and brainstorm new ideas
- Elaborate, refine, analyze and evaluate their own ideas in order to improve creative efforts
- Communicate ideas clearly to others
- Be open and responsive to new ideas
- View failure as an opportunity to learn and understand the real-world limits
- Implement changes
- Try and try again!
Video by: Explee – What is a makerspace?
Scratch – Create your own video games!
Want to create your own games, music, art, or animations? Scratch can show you how! You can play online and create an account to save, or you can download the Scratch program at home
Code.org -This nonprofit foundation website is a great starting point for coding novices. It shares plenty of useful online resources, apps, and local schools that teach coding.
LightBot-LightBot is a puzzle game based on coding; it secretly teaches you programming logic as you play!