I hope everyone is looking forward to spring coming and warmer weather! Basketball will be soon coming to an end and Spring sports are getting ready to begin on Monday, February 14. See all the important news and updates below.
Spring Sports Intent to Try-out Forms are DUE NO LATER than Monday, February 7
This helps us gather important information from parents and student-athletes. If you are a rising 6th-12th grader and plan on trying out for a spring sport, you MUST fill this form out and send it back to Coach Moyer by Friday, January 21. This form may be completed via this Google form or use the attached Spring Sports Intent to Try-out Form and turn it in to Coach Moyer via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) in a PDF file, faxed (336-586-9477) or dropped off in the security office.
If you sign up you must attend the last Mandatory Meeting. This is a make-up meeting on Monday, February 7th via Zoom at 8pm. Only those who sign up will receive this zoom meeting invitation. Coach Moyer will send this out to each individual. Anyone who has not attended one of the mandatory meetings will NOT be permitted to tryout.
We are very low on numbers for many of our spring sports. We would love to have more student-athletes join our teams. See the numbers below and help us out if you can.
- Varsity Softball = 10 signed up. We have enough to field a team. Would love to have more sign up.
- MS Softball = 22 signed up. We have enough to field a team. There will be try-outs.
- Varsity Girls Soccer = 12 signed up. We have enough to field a team. Would love to have more sign up.
- MS Girls Soccer = 10 signed up. We will need 12 signed up to have a team.
- Varsity Baseball = 12 signed up. We have enough to field a team. Would love to have more sign up.
- MS Baseball = 11 signed up. We have enough to field a team. Would love to have more sign up.
- Varsity Boys Tennis = 7 signed up. We can run as individuals and team with this number.
- MS Co-Ed Tennis = 5 signed up. We can run as singles and doubles with this number.
- Varsity Boys Golf = 8 signed up. We can run as individuals and team with this number.
- MS Co-Ed Golf = 4 signed up. We can run as individuals and team with this number.
Winter Basketball Season–
Please come out and support our MS and HS basketball teams as their seasons will be coming to a close soon.
- SENIOR NIGHT will be on Tuesday, February 8. Student-Athletes, Dancers and their parents will be honored between the Varsity Girls and Boys game. Marching Band, Color Guard and Pep Band members will be honored during half time of the varsity boys game. Come out and helps us cheer them on.
- CGS will be hosting the MS and HS Conference Tournament. We hope to see many CGS Fans attend. There will be a $5.00 charge for everyone during the Conference Tournaments. See the schedule below:.
Friday, February 11 – MS Mid State Conference Girls and Boys Championship 5:00/6:30
Wednesday, February 16 – HS Central Tar Heel Conference Girls and Boys Semi Finals 4:00/5:30/7:00/8:30
Friday, February 18 – HS Central Tar Heel Conference Girls and Boys Championships 6:00/7:30
* We will have a hospitality room all 3 nights. Coach Moyer will be sending out an email requesting donations for the hospitality room. Only packaged food and drinks will be permitted. Please be on the lookout for this email.
Volunteers are needed at ALL home games and we need your help.
We will need a few volunteers each night to help with admissions and concession stand. In order to volunteer we ask that you sign-up through Mobile Serve. These games will be posted on Mobile Serve on a weekly basis. Please register through the Mobile serve app or contact Coach Moyer with questions. I have attached the Brochure for directions on how to sign up. All schedules and news feeds can be found on Team App. This is free to register and it will give you a daily schedule of all events as well as an individual schedule for each sport. It can be used on your computer or as an app on your phone. I have attached the Brochure for directions on how to sign up.Watch all CGS middle school, JV and varsity HOME basketball games live stream on the NFHS Network.
If you are unable to come to the game or If you have family or friends from out of state that would like to watch your child play you can watch them on the NFHS Network. You can watch the games live or go back and watch the recorded game. To subscribe please log into www.nfhsnetwork.com You will first need to create an account if you do not have on already. You will have the option to subscribe to a monthly or yearly subscription. Once you have subscribed, you will type Clover Garden in the search bar. Here you will find our school site. Below you will be able to pull up the live game or go back and watch any game from the past. When you subscribe, CGS Athletics does get a small portion donated back to our athletic fund.
Home Basketball COVID Guidelines as of February 1, 2022. You will be asked to follow these if you attend a home game.
Basketball – On CGS campus in the CGS Gymnasium
- MASKS are optional for the 10 players on the court and referee’s during the game.
- MASKS are Mandated for ALL spectators, game personnel, coaches and bench players/personnel at ALL times.
- Doors will OPEN for Teams 1 hour prior to the first game of the night.
- Doors will OPEN for Spectators 30 minutes prior to the first game of the night.
- Admission Gate – Cash ONLY at the door.
- $5.00 adults
- $3.00 students and senior citizens
No Coolers Provided. Teams must provide their own water. Touchless water fountains are available.
Locker rooms are available for visiting teams. CGS teams will come dressed ready to play or use restrooms.
NFHS Network Available – we will live stream ALL basketball games via www.nfhsnetwork.com You must have registered and have a paid subscription to watch.
*****Please remember each school has their own protocols and may be different than ours. As you know these could change on a daily basis. Updates will be sent out as we get them.
COVID Information as it relates to our student-athletes
As we all know COVID has hit our society over the past 2 months with a vengeance again. Over the past 2 weeks we are seeing a spike in cases not only in our CGS student- athletes but student-athletes across the state as well. I wanted to give you some updates for our CGS student-athletes per the NCHSAA protocols on a student-athletes eligibility to return to their teams during the season. See the attached document to give you step by step guidelines for the CGS Student-Athlete COVID Protocols as well as the NCHSAA Illness Return to Play Form. Any student-athlete who has contacted COVID during the 2021-22 school year must submit the NCHSAA Illness Return to Play Form signed by their primary care physician to Coach Moyer BEFORE they can participate in athletics.
Please keep in mind it is very important that your report any close contact or positive COVID cases to Coach Moyer and Jennifer Cox (email@example.com) ASAP. This can make a difference in YOUR Teams ability to continue to practice and play. CGS realizes that the CDC has changed their guidelines to the quarantine timeframe to 5 days. CGS will be reviewing the updates of the Strong Schools Toolkit with the Board of Directors during the next board meeting on Tuesday, February 15. However, until the BOD and the CGS administration vote to make any changes, we must go by our current CGS policy that reflects the 10 day quarantine. I will keep you up to date and let you know if that changes.
CGS February Athletic Booster Club Meeting on Tuesday, Februray 15 @ 8:00pm via Zoom–
The next CGS athletic booster club meeting will be on Tuesday, February 15 starting at 8:00pm via Zoom. Please email Coach Moyer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like an invitation to the zoom meeting.
Booster Sponsorship Banners – the booster club has started a sponsorship banner program to work with local businesses. The business can have a banner hung in the gymnasium and/or the softball field fence. For more information go to our website. I have also attached the sponsorship program document for you. We would like to thank the following businesses that have sponsored us this year.
- Danny’s Café and Catering
- La Fiesta
- Suretop Roofing
- Cox Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram
- Keystone Business Solutions
- Central Carolina Realty Pros
- James Heating and Air Conditioning Company
- Gracie Burlington Jui Jitsu
- Whitaker and Hamer Attorneys and Counselors at Law
We are in need of some Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches for the Spring Season. Please see the list below and email Coach Moyer if you or someone you know would be interested.
- – Assistant Coach for MS Baseball
- – Head Coach for MS Co-ed Tennis