Sponsored by CGS Student Council
Sept 10-17, 2021
Since 9/11/2002, the staff and students of CGS have recognized the 9/11 National Day of Remembrance, Constitution Day, and Citizenship Day through weekly activities conducted during our All American Week, which is from Friday, Sept 10th-Friday, Sept 17th.
This year we will be holding elections for Student Council Officers during All American Week. Officer candidates will have posters set up in designated areas by the gym and cafeteria and in the Commons area. Middle school students will vote before school from 7:30-7:50am on Tuesday, Sept 14th, and high school students will vote during high school lunch on the same day.
To bring awareness to this event, we would like staff and students to participate by wearing RED, WHITE, and BLUE or patriotic clothing on Friday, Sept 17th, the actual date of Constitution Day. Students and staff will have a “Hat Day” on Friday, Sept 17th, where they can pay $1 to wear a hat. All clothing and hats must adhere to the CGS Dress Code.
In addition, we will sponsor our annual Poem & Poster contests for all grade levels, and prizes will be awarded for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Honorable Mention winners. All K-12 classes are encouraged to participate in this important event!
FOCUS— The content of the student poems and posters should focus on how we benefit from the love of our country and the blessings of freedom we share.
POSTER & POEM GUIDELINES:
- Poem Contest—Students MUST submit an original poem
- K-2 Poems should be at least 1 stanza with 2 lines and include a title.
- 3-5 Poems should be at least 2 stanzas with 3 lines and include a title.
- 6-8 Poems should be at least 2 stanzas with 4 lines and include a title.
- 9-12 Poems should be at least 10 lines and include a title.
- Poems can be handwritten or typed.
- Middle and High School:
- Students are encouraged to include a historical reference to support their topic.
- Poems should be typed, double spaced between stanzas, 12 point font, Times New Roman. Use MLA format.
- Students who do not have a participating teacher, can forward their poems/posters to Mrs. Wilson (Please have the student label their entry correctly and put them in my box in the front office.)
- Poster Contest—Students MUST submit an original poster
- ALL POSTERS should be submitted on 8 ½ x 11 white copy paper.
- GRADE LEVELS—K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
- All student work should be labeled with the student’s FIRST and LAST NAME, GRADE LEVEL, and TEACHER’S NAME.
- Please label the identifying information on the front of all poems and on the back of the posters. Student work will be displayed throughout the school.
- The CGS Student Council will select the winners of both contests during our weekly meeting @ 7:40am on Thursday, Sept 23rd.